Oh, my, colleges are suffering from low enrollment. At $40K a year, ya think?
The Wall Street Journal ran this article today,
From 2010 through 2012, freshman enrollment at more than a quarter of U.S. private four-year schools declined 10% or more, according to federal data The Wall Street Journal analyzed. From 2006 through 2009, fewer than one in five experienced a similar decline.
The trajectory reflects demographic and technological changes, along with questions about a college degree’s value that are challenging centuries-old business models. The impact is uneven: Some wealthy, selective private colleges are flourishing, while many others suffer.
Schools on the losing end are responding with closures, layoffs, cutbacks, mergers and new recruitment strategies. Many see these as the first signs of a shakeout that will reorder the industry.
Please read this with glee. I do, especially after paying $45,000 a year for my daughter’s school in Boston. My son started at the very expensive music school, Berkley College in Boston, and decided not to return, telling me “it’s a waste of money.”. You don’t hear that line from your kids very often, but according to him it was. My daughter’s school, Simmons College, also in Boston, she and I both agree is worth every cent. But that’s a lot of cents.
Here’s the ugly truth about college expenses
- College costs have risen significantly faster than other cost-of-living increases in the last twenty years.
- administrative bloat
- Federal rules and regulations
- People have been willing to pay these ludicrous costs, myself included
- College costs are subsidized by the wealthy and high school under-achievers who don’t qualify for scholarships or need-based discounts
- My uneducated guess is that 20% of students pay full tuition, 40% pay mostly full tuition, and those 60% subsidize the other 40% who are on scholarships or are heavily subsidized.
- Undergraduate college degrees do not guarantee a good job
- College graduation does not guarantee learning
- Our society has yet to decide whether or not college is a “life experience” or an education.
- High school education has been so dumber-down that much college education is remedial
- Post-graduate success is predicted more accurately by college admission than by college graduation.
Sorry to be cynical here, but let’s speak the truth here. But let’s also be glad that what goes around comes around, and the “college bubble” has hit a top. Enjoy the crash, and make sure you’re taking advantage, finally, of the new buyers market in education.
The A+ Club from School4Schools.com LLC, based in Arlington, VA, is dedicated to helping students across the U.S.A. meet their goals and find the academic success the want and deserve. Contact us here or call now to (703) 271-5334 to see how we can help.