Michael models SAT Reading section techniques and strategies on a passage from the College Board SAT Practice Test 1
Michael works through the fourth passage of Practice Test 1 (questions 32-41) with a live demonstration of actually taking that test/ passage:
Notes: & Big Ideas
Reading Test 1:
4th passage, questions 32-40
- “Hard read” the intro & apply your Prior Knowledge
- Find historical context!
Think BIG WARS, here between WWI (1914-18) & WWII (1939-45)
- Skim text esp. topic sentences for key words, tone/ technique, definitions, proper nouns, etc.
- ALWAYS Hard Read last paragraph/ final sentences
- Hard Read the QUESTIONS (not the answers) for INFORMATION
- First paragraphs, esp. w/ academic passages is usually BACKGROUND INFO (you won’t find the thesis!)
- Read the text KEEPING YOUR
THUMB on the QUESTIONS
… and answer them AS YOU GO!
- Eliminate for ERRORS!
The correct answer is the ONLY one that does NOT have an error.
- PAIRED QUESTIONS:
– Evidence MUST match a possible answer!
– Keep your thumb on the questions & ELIMINATE evidence one at a time!
- With two-part answers you only need to eliminate ONE part of the possible answer in order to eliminate that answer!
- “Characterizes” or “indicates” = not stating the info but saying something about it
- Pay close attention to the final sentences!
- Summary questions: you will know more about the passage AFTER answer all the other questions. Do it last, or go back to re-check it when you’re done w/ the other questions.
- Keep questions in your head and thumb on the questions
… and answer them as you go along!
NEXT: I will run a Writing section webinar, date t.b.a.